An SE (Sonic-Electric) scaler is a type of dental instrument that uses ultrasonic vibrations to remove plaque, tartar, and other debris from teeth.
Some key features of an SE scaler include
- A metal tip that is inserted into the periodontal pockets and used to remove plaque and tartar
- A water irrigation system that cools the tip and helps flush away debris
- Multiple tip options can be swapped out depending on the area being treated and the type of debris to be removed
- Some may have a feature of adjustable pressure and amplitude for comfortable use.
- Some may have a lightweight design to reduce hand fatigue during long procedures
- Some may be autoclavable for easy sterilization.
SE scalers are considered to be more efficient and less traumatic for the patient than traditional hand scalers. They can be effective in treating periodontal disease, as well as in scaling and root planing procedures.